Discussion essay is also known as argument essay consists of topics which are mostly broad and debatable. In a discussion essay, students need to evaluate both sides of a situation and to conclude the paper by writing which side they support.
Discussion Writing Topics
When choosing a discussion writing topic, it is essential for a student to have a general interest in that particular topic.
Below are some discussion writing topics which you can consider writing on:
- Should animals be used for research?
- Are beauty pageants exploitative?
- Should abortion be abolished?
- Should military service be mandatory?
- Should Supreme Court proceedings be televised?
- Can gun control help control the crime rate?
- Media influence on body dissatisfaction.
- Does freedom of speech give people the right to use hate speech?
- Social media create isolation.
- Is it acceptable for women to breastfeed in public?
Writing a Discussion Essay Tips
When writing a discussion essay keep check of the following guidelines, to write a good discussion.
- Select a topic of your interest, to avoid boredom and frustration when writing a discussion essay.
- Do not select a topic which does not have any relevant arguments.
- For a good discussion, essay students need to keep a balanced point of view.
- Make sure to spend time researching intensively about the topic.
- The facts and opinions need to be balanced.
- Before starting the discussion essay draft a detailed outline and the main points which are to be discussed.
- Start a discussion paper introduction by mentioning all issues regarding tour topic.
- The body of the paper should include details of the problems individually, with the help of the materials gathered.
- Begin with weak arguments followed by strong arguments.
- All the questions must be answered.
- Examples are a must.
- Linking of words and phrases should be used correctly.
- The conclusion includes a summarized detail of the information mentioned in the body of the essay.
How to Start a Discussion Paper
There are different structures of a discussion paper. However, there are several factors which are common. Following are pointers on how to start a discussion paper:
- Start a discussion paper with a general statement, which means introducing the reader to the topic you have selected.
- If needed you can mention your opinion.
- If the topic consists of technical words, students need to provide a definition.
- Most importantly, do not forget to write a thesis statement. A thesis helps the reader know what topics will be covered in the discussion essay.